Genesis is named the Most Dependable Automotive Brand in a recent study down by J.D. Power. This is the first year the company made the U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study list. The automaker beat out some top competitors, including Lexus, Buick, Porsche, Toyota and Volkswagen, to take this top spot.
Quick Genesis History
In 2009, the Genesis name first showed up as one of Hyundai’s sedan models. It became its own brand in 2017. There were three reasons Hyundai wanted to make Genesis a standalone brand:
- It was one of the top three selling models
- Customers wanted Genesis to be a separate division from Hyundai
- Genesis was successful for seven years in the luxury car market
Genesis currently sells three sedan models in the US. However, the company is adding the 2021 Genesis GV80 this year. The new luxury SUV is featured in a Super Bowl ad starring John Legend and Chrissy Teigen.
You can read more about the history of Genesis with Wikipedia.
Along with the dependable makes, here are the other car models that J.D. Power listed as the best in each category.
- Small Premium Car: BMW 2 Series
- Small Car: Honda Fit
- Compact Sporty Car: Mazda MX-5 Miata
- Compact Premium Car: Lexus ES
- Compact Car: Nissan Leaf
- Midsize Sporty Car: Ford Mustang
- Midsize Premium Car: Genesis G80
- Midsize Car: Buick Regal
- Large Car: Toyota Avalon
- Compact Premium SUV: Porsche Macan
- Compact SUV: Chevrolet Equinox
- Small Premium SUV: Mercedes-Benz GLA
- Small SUV: Buick Encore
- Midsize Pickup: Nissan Frontier
- Midsize Premium SUV: Lexus GX
- Midsize SUV: Toyota 4Runner
- Minivan: Toyota Sienna
- Large Heavy-duty Pickup: Chevrolet Silverado HD
- Large Light-duty Pickup: (tie) Ford-150, Toyota Tundra
- Large SUV: Chevrolet Tahoe
Do You Agree With Most Dependable Automotive Brand Rating?
Do you think that Genesis deserves the title most dependable brand? Let us know what you think in the comments below. If you are planning to purchase a vehicle, first check our Top Cars list above to find some of the highest-rated cars on the market right now.